A big congrats on adopting your new pup, we are so thankful for all of the awesome people like you that have stepped up to give these precious angels a second shot at life. Because we know how hard it can be to get a new dog settled in, we wanted to have a blog with some helpful items to have ready for their arrival!
I am listing all items off of Amazon, mostly because of their awesome Prime shipping and being able to easily return anything that does not work for your pup. We will continue to update this list as we think of needed items but for now, here are our tried and tested absolute faves!
Prepping For Your New Pup!
- Pet Insurance- This is probably the MOST important thing you can do for your pet as soon as he/she arrives. We have it on all 5 of our dogs and it’s something we have used various times now. We use Healthy Paws and they have been amazing. They cover 90% of all issues and they have been hassle-free every single time. There are a variety of different monthly payment and coverage options so you can select which works best for you. They also cover hereditary issues, hip dysplasia, all surgeries, meds, blood tests, etc… it’s awesome! Their plans do not cover pre-existing conditions, the veterinarian exam fee, spay/neuter procedures, or preventative care.
- Custom Pet ID Tag- Get your dog their very own pet ID tag before they arrive, check out my faves here. They come with unique designs and FREE engraving right to your home!
- Organic Bunny Box for Pets- Want to get all of my favorite non-toxic items for your new pup? This bundle includes dental care, shampoos, leash/collar, soothing skin sprays, toys & more! Grab yours here.
- Dog DNA Test- Want to know your pup’s exact breed? Get a doggy DNA test! This is so much fun and will tell you a comprehensive breakdown of your dog’s breed, age, relatives and overall health risks!
- Dog Bed- Our dogs are pretty spoiled which means they sleep on only the best! We have two of the largest Savvy Rest Dog Beds, one in the house and one in the car! They are expensive but, they have yet to be destroyed, are not covered in toxic flame retardants and our pups love them.
- Cleaning Supplies- Because our pets usually hang out and rest on our floors, using a non-toxic cleaning solution is very important as we don’t want them breathing in any disrupting fragrances or licking toxins. My favorite brand is Branch Basics and code ORGANICBUNNY saves you $$.
- Crate- We use our crate for our dogs to sleep in at night until they settle into the home. It’s nice to have a safe place for them to be in where you know they can not chew/potty or destroy anything while you are training them. The crate we got was this XXL one to ensure they have enough space. You can always choose another size based off of your pet’s size, however, they should be able to move around well in the crate. The crate should not be used long term unless the pet enjoys it!
- Play Pen- This large playpen is another nice option if you have other dogs and want to be able to keep them apart for a bit to adjust. Or, if you do not want to crate the dogs at night, this is sort of a more roomy version of the crate.
- Instagrammable Toys- Nothing is cuter than snapping a pic of your new pup with a plush passport or bottle of bubbly! We also have an interactive toy we love too! Check out cute toys here.
- Food- While we do make our dog food homemade from scratch, for those that need a quicker and easier option, we do like Stella & Chewy’s freeze-dried meal mixers. This is a raw, freeze-dried option that only requires adding water to! We feed our dogs the Beef option as it is a cooling meat, best for dog’s that run hot. I find that many dogs have allergies to Chicken so I avoid it with all of my dogs.
- Dog Bowls- We have been using these Stainless Steel bowls and loving them, however, if you have a dog with food issues like we do (he was a stray and inhales his food), using a slow down bowl is a great idea too!
- Water Filter- Because I do not like giving my pups fluoride and heavy metal infested tap water, we use a water filter for all of their drinking water! Click here for my fave, code included!
- Treats- As you know, treaties are the solution for just about anything so having one your dog will love is essential! While we stopped using the Acana brand kibble after learning kibble is carcinogenic, we do still use their freeze-dried treats. We use the beef kind we found at a local pet store but they have more flavors here. These are great for placing in their crate to encourage they enter, great for potty training rewards and more!
- Dog Chews– Because dogs LOVE to chew, especially with nerves running wild in their new environment, having chewies on deck is key! You never want to feed your dog rawhide as it is a major choking hazard, however, these No Hide chews are a great alternative as they are made from brown rice instead! We use the beef version as well. I would still supervise your dogs while eating these since they are a giant clump, you want to make sure they are not swallowing this, or anything, whole.
- Durable Dog Toys- We have tried every dog toy under the sun and the only brand my dogs have yet to destroy is the West Paw brand, these things are crazy durable! Many rescue dogs have anxiety that they can tend to take out on their toys so finding this brand was a lifesaver. These not only float in our pool but they have yet to be dismembered!
- Baby Gates- If you have other dogs at home that you are not sure about getting along, we have personally been using these baby gates and let me tell you, they are a lifesaver. They do not require being screwed into the door, they are super tall, super easy to install, customizable and come with a door for easy in and out. These are also awesome if you want to leave your dog in your bedroom or a sectioned off room while at work or away, to keep them confined without shutting the door.
- Immune Boosting Vitamins– After we took our rescue to the holistic vet, she suggested getting all of our dogs on this Cell Advance supplement to help their immune system recover after all they may have endured. Our dog Hamilton had a sneeze once he arrived and after a week of these, he is now sneeze-free. I am not saying these cured him, however, whatever was going on is now gone thanks to time and hopefully, a good immune-boosting vitamin. If you read through their reviews, you will see how helpful this has been for so many dogs! If your dog has any allergies, this is one to look into.
- Fish Oil– Nordic Naturals Omega-3 supplements are an excellent source of the important omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA that your pooch needs. EPA and DHA help support skin and coat health, joint health, heart health, immune system health, cellular health, and brain and eye development and maintenance. I love this brand because they are Wild Caught and Sustainably sourced. These are really awesome for healthy skin, soothing itchy skin, a healthy coat and more.
- Pet Shampoo- As you know, I love using only clean and natural products for myself and my pets are no exception, only the best for them too! In my Organic Bunny store, I carry my personal favorite pet shampoo by PetBiotics! It is so very clean and it’s amazing for dogs with any skin issues like dermatitis, rashes, hot spots, mange, shedding, ringworm, dandruff, impetigo, yeast infections, itchy skin and more! They also make a spray for those with more serious conditions, it works amazing.
- Leash and Collars- The collar you use is up for your discretion as there are people who frown upon both choke collars and harnesses alike. We personally do not believe in using choke collars so we use a soft collar, harness, and leash. Yes, harnesses do encourage pulling but when your dog walks it’s arousal is so high that he will choke himself and not care while using a choke collar. We use the Wonder Walker harnesses (not on Amazon) paired with their Bunny’s Buddies leash and collar as 100% of the proceeds made from them go to rescuing dogs. They are also an amazing conversation piece for when you are out and about with your dog!
- Dental Care- Because many of these dog’s lack all proper hygiene, getting them on a nice dental routine is important! We use the Dr. Brite Pet Cleaning Pen OR their Oral Cleansing Spray if your dog doesn’t want you fussing with his mouth! Both are super clean and a great way to get their teeth cleaned each day/week. Our rescue has severe gingivitis so we will have to make him a dentist appointment for a deep cleaning soon. The above products are more so for preventive care and not for fixing any major damage.
- Amazon Faves- In addition to all of the above, I have added my other faves like brushes, vacuums, flea & tick spray, supplements & more to our Amazon page here!